Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Mütter Museum

Anatomical Heart Tiles 

Several years ago we made a trip to Philadelphia to visit a museum we had dreamed about for a long time. The Mütter Museum, a collection of medical anomalies, is housed at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. In existence since the mid-nineteenth century, this museum offers those of us fascinated by medical history a mesmerizing world of things to explore. Several pieces from the collection that struck me the most were a specimen cabinet of items extracted from human throats, a massive collection of human skulls, a disturbing glimpse into the world of antique gynecological equipment, and an area devoted to "disorders of the skeletal system." To put it simply, this place completely amazed us. 

When I received an email from the museum store's manager a few weeks ago asking to have my anatomical heart tiles there on consignment I could barely contain my excitement!  Even better, their share of the consignment goes to the preservation and upkeep of the museum.  So, now my heart tiles, which have always had some trouble fitting in, have found the perfect new home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment